8.8.14

Printed Linen

I wasn't tempted to buy any fabric on a recent trip to Vietnam (polyester everywhere!), but as I was checking back in with the world at the airport on the way home, I saw this post by The Fabric Store and snaffled the fabric up as soon as I got home.

It was quickly made into my 4th version of Vogue 8552.


For this dress, the neck facing is applied before the front is pleated.  In this photo, the pleats have been ironed flat, but when the fabric relaxes, it creates a frilly effect around the neck.


I modified the sleeves so that they had a scallop hem, following the print of the fabric.


I also changed the hem to curve at the side seams.  I like this look at the moment, and it will also help reduce the walking stress on the hem that I get with other versions of this dress (the hem is pegged).


14 comments:

Summer Flies said...

Oh lovely... linen is perfect for where you are. I have a Vogue top pattern that is very similar in the neck... I like it. How fantastic to be in Vietnam but what a shame you could only find polyester!

Gabrielle said...

It looks so different in this striking linen! I love the fabric, such great colors - and that sleeve detail is genius!

liza jane said...

That scalloped sleeve is so cool!!

fabric epiphanies said...

A lovely fabric choice and the sleeves are genius!

Sew Brunswick said...

Excellent alterations! I particularly love the sleeves.

Crab and Bee said...

I like the sleeves and hem! Hope you had a great trip :)

Anonymous said...

Oh I love that kind of neckline! I saw it on a rtw dress of a friend and have been in love ever since. I will keep an eye out for that pattern.
Lovely fabric. I really like those sleeves too!

Helen near Sydney said...

How do you do sleeves like that? are they faced or hemmed or what ??? Lovely dress.
Helen

katherine h said...

Hello Helen,

I cut the sleeves out with the sleeve hem on a fold of fabric. With the sleeve folded right sides together (to look like a regular sleeve for this pattern), I stitched a scalloped line along the hem, trimmed and turned right side out and treated the double layer sleeve as one. This sleeve is a cap sleeve that is not attached for the entire circumference of the armhole, so no sleeve side seam.

Sew, Jean Margaret said...

Very nice dress. I love your modifications.

Christy said...

Love it!

Gail said...

Love the curved hemline (may I copy this?) and the scallop sleeves are more than a little special.

STUDIOFARO said...

What a wonderful fabric choice! And I love how you have worked the sleeve detail around the print. :)

Joy said...

Ooh, what fun use of a lovely fabric.